Updated: Sep 30, 2020
Having suffered a heart attack or having undergone treatment for the same does not mean one will never have another heart attack; it can happen again. But, there are several steps one can take to prevent further attacks.
Lifestyle modification plays a substantial role in preventing or delaying the onset of heart attack.
· Exercise regularly. Regular exercise can prevent heart disease, slow down the progression of heart disease, lower blood pressure, and improve cholesterol levels. At least 20 to 30 minutes of regular physical activity especially walking for at least 5 days a week helps to avoid or delay the onset of heart disease; to maintain healthy weight one might have to exercise more. It is advisable to walk at least 10,000 steps daily.
· Eat healthy diet. Try to eat less saturated fat and increase the intake of omega-3 fats such as those found in salmon. Try to eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meat, fish and pulses, and restrict salt, sugar and fat intake.
· Maintain a healthy weight
· Quit smoking, also avoid exposure to second hand smoke
· Reduce stress. Practice a relaxation technique such as yoga or meditation
· Reduce the intake of carbohydrates (sugar / rice) and cholesterol (saturated / trans fatty acid)
Check and control your blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol. This can be achieved by regular consumption of medication as prescribed by doctor.